August 22nd, 10:30 a.m.
Esther Stories by Peter Orner
(2001) (240 pp)
Peter Orner explores the impact of life’s essential moments, those brief but far-reaching occasions that haunt his characters. The discovery of a crime, a theatrical performance in a small town, or the recollection of a cruel wartime decision are equally affecting in Orner’s vivid scenarios. All thirty-two wide-ranging pieces—funny or sorrowful, urban or rural, simple or innovative—are welcome additions to the art of the story.
The Braun Library Book Club meets most months (usually on the first Sunday of the month) at 10:30 a.m. All meetings are held on Zoom. Join us via ZOOM here.
- Books are chosen by the group, and represent a variety of genres, all with a connection to Jewish history or culture.
- Meetings are open to all interested TIS members.
- Multiple copies of our monthly selections are usually available for loan.
- There is no fee. The book club is supported by generous donors to the Braun Library fund.
- Donate here.
- Sunday, October 3rd – Louis Rose, San Diego’s First Jewish Settler and Entrepreneur by Don Harrison – DISCUSSION WITH THE AUTHOR!
- Sunday, November 7th – The Boston Girl by Anita Diamant
- Sunday, December 5th – The Woman Who Smashed Codes: A True Story of Love, Spies, and the Unlikely Heroine Who Outwitted America’s Enemies by Jason Fagone
- Sunday, January 9th – TBD
- Sunday, February 6th – TBD
- Sunday, March 6th – TBD
- Sunday, April 3rd – TBD
Cry of the Peacock – Gina Nahai
By Fire, By Water – Mitchell James Kaplan
Beauty Queen of Jerusalem – Sarit Yishai-Levi
The Yid: A Novel – Paul Goldberg
Three Floors Up – Eshkol Nevo
Visible City – Tova Mirvis
The History of Love – Nicole Krauss
The Worlds We Think We Know – Dalia Rosenfeld
The Ghost of Hannah Mendes — Naomi Ragen
A Backpack, a Bear, and Eight Crates of Vodka: A Memoir — Lev Golinkin
The Color of Water — James McBride
The Hotel Neversink — Adam O’Fallon Price
People of the Book — Geraldine Brooks
Everything Is Illuminated: A Novel — Jonathan Safran Foer
Drawing in the Dust — Zoe Klein
A Bend in the Stars — Rachel Barenbaum
The Muralist: A novel — B.A. Shapiro
The Secret Chord — Geraldine Brooks
Moonglow — Michael Chabon
Naamah — Sarah Blake
Bee Season — Myla Goldberg
A Marriage of Opposites — Alice Hoffman
A Pigeon and a Boy — Meir Shalev
A Tale of Love and Darkness — Amos Oz
The Golem and the Jinni — Helene Wecker
The River Midnight — Lilian Nattel
I am Forbidden — Anouk Markovits
Mr. Mani — Abraham B. Yehoshua,
Ritual Bath — Faye Kellerman
Waking Lions — Ayelet Gundar-Goshen
The Chosen — Chaim Potok
American Pastoral — Philip Roth
Bread Givers — Anzia Yezierska
Einstein and the Rabbi — Naomi Levy
The Best Place on Earth, — Ayelet Tsabari
The Weight of Ink — Rachel Kadish