Although Tifereth Israel Synagogue will be closed during the COVID-19 pandemic, and will remain closed until health officials can assure us it is safe to reopen, we are continuing to offer an abundance of online services and programming all of which may be accessed here.
More Resources and Programming Regarding COVID-19
- Supporting Children During COVID-19 shares a variety of information and resources for children of all ages
In the meantime, please let Rabbi or our office know if you or anyone you know need anything. You can reach Rabbi Dorsch by email or call 619 697-6001, ext. 105. You can reach the office at 619 697-6001 or send us an email.
The following information is provided to assist you with general information about COVID-19. We will continue to update this information and welcome any additions. Email your suggestions to Beth.
Dr. Peter Lin explains the Corona Virus:
How You Can Help
Donate to any of the following:
- TIS COVID-19 Emergency Fund to assist those who have deeply impacted by COVID-19 and the shutdown of businesses.
- Jewish Community Foundation San Diego COVID-19 Fund
- COVID-19 Community Response Fund through San Diego Foundation
- Making calls to our members
- Grocery shopping
- Making and delivering food
- Picking up prescriptions
- In addition, our members who are home alone would love to receive a hand-written note or maybe a drawing from a child letting them know that they are not forgotten. Together, we are stronger.
Jewish Family Service is looking for volunteers to assist in a variety of ways including:
- Sewing masks
- Providing meals for the Safe Parking Program guests
- Preparing home delivered meals
- Assembling toilet paper packages for community distribution.
We continue to gather information to assist our entire community during this challenging time. Please email Beth with any additional information you believe would be helpful.
Jewish Family Service: Services include food assistance, counseling, and more.
- JFS Hand Up Food Pantry & Corner Market
- JFS Foodmobile
- San Diego Food Bank
- Feeding San Diego
- San Diego Hunger Coalition
- JFS Amazon Wishlist: You can purchase high-need items on the list that will be distributed to Safe Parking Program participants and to vulnerable San Diegans through our drive-thru food distribution service.
Seniors in Need
Stay Home SD- Helping San Diego Seniors: San Diegans helping those in our community who are most vulnerable to Covid-19
Business, Employment, Unemployment, Disability, Etc.
San Diego Workforce Partnership: Resources for workers and businesses. Excellent overview and links for unemployment and benefits for those quarantined or sick. Resources for working parents.
- The Governor has waived the one-week unpaid waiting period so you can collect disability or unemployment for the first week you are out of work. If you are eligible, the EDD processes and issues payments with a few weeks of receiving a claim.
- You may be eligible if you are quarantined or sick or have lost work due to the health crisis
Labor & Workforce Development Agency: Information on benefits for workers impacted by COVID-19
Small Business Support: Economic Injury Disaster Loan and other business information.
- Ideas to support small business:
- Tip generously
- Purchase gift cards (TIS Sisterhood sells many!)
- If you know of a business hiring, let others know!
Rent / Eviction Relief
Governor Newsom ordered the postponement of eviction or foreclosures through 3/31/20. The order does not relieve a tenant from the obligation to pay rent or restrict the landlord’s ability to recover rent that is due. The order also requests banks and other financial institutions to halt foreclosures and related evictions during this time period.
The Governor’s Executive Order asks the California Public Utilities Commission to monitor measures undertaken by public and private utility providers to implement customer service protections for critical utilities, including electric, gas, water, internet, landline telephone, and cell phone service on a weekly basis.
Domestic Violence Resources
All too often, we forget to take care of ourselves. Here are a series of resources to assist in supporting you through this unusual time. Whether it’s physical, emotional, or mental support, we hope these ideas are helpful.
- Mindfulness Tips during COVID-19
- 22 Mindfulness Exercises for Adults
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction
- The Sanford Institute at UCSD is providing daily streams and recordings of mindfulness sessions aimed at providers impacted by COVID.
Exercising at Home
- YMCA for the community
- 24 Hour Fitness: Certain at-home classes are available for free. Download the 24GO app, which has workout ideas available. Bodybuilding.com made available eight free workouts anyone can do from home.
- On-Line AA Meetings During COVID-19
- Jewish Alcoholics, Chemically Dependent Persons, and Significant Others (JACS)
- Smart Recording: 40+ weekly online meetings at SMART Recovery Online (SROL), with additional support available through 24/7 discussion boards. SROL is free to join; but registration is required to participate.