Tikun Olam (repairing the world) is a major cornerstone of Judaism. Whether we’re collecting funds, gathering goods, or raising awareness, social action is part of our congregation’s commitment to our congregational family and beyond.
Together, we can do so much. Whether we’re taking care of a treasured TIS member or family, supporting the needs throughout our community, or reaching even beyond San Diego, TIS is dedicated to caring for one another, as well as for the uncared-for, and unseen.
This year, in addition to on-going or annual projects (and the occasional pop-up), we are focusing on homelessness, food insecurity, and environmental changes. There will be occasions during the coming year that will offer opportunities for you to become engaged in a variety of manners. Each month we will highlight ways that you can make a difference. We hope that you will be motivated about joining in these initiatives that are grounded in our teachings, values, and traditions as a Jewish community.
* Feeding those in need – We’ll be providing meals for those who are faced with food insecurity. Click here for more details.
* Cook it Forward – We’ll get together once a quarter to prepare and freeze meals that can be distributed to TIS members who may be could use people who are ill or people who are celebrating simchas.
* JFS Safe Parking – This is a safe place for people living in their cars to sleep. Most of these people are working but rent is too high. We will be providing dinner at one of the two locations once each month. There are many opportunities to help – make food, serve food, donate supplies or money. Click here to learn more and see a list of dates that we have committed to for the coming months.
* Volunteer at the Interfaith Homeless Shelter in our local neighborhood during the winter. We will provide some meals and companionship.
* Our Environment – We will explore Jewish environmental engagement as part of growing local interfaith earth justice initiatives addressing the increasing impacts of climate change. Together we are seeking to affirm our role in healing the planet and preserving life for future generations. Programming details will be coming soon.
If you would like to participate in any of these initiatives or if you have other ideas about how we can take care of our community email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Beth at the office. Someone from our Social Action Committee will be in touch.